How to Keep Motivated as a Small Business Owner


 
Have you ever struggled, to keep yourself motivated as a small business owner? 

If, your answer is YES, then you this post is for you and me.

Running a business whether it is a big corporation or you run a small business, stress is an inescapable part of it. For example, due to COVID 19 you see your existing customers disappear, you had to close your business and you watch your sales dwindled into nothing, feeling demotivated is natural. 

Hi there, I am Nicole and today, I thought we can discuss, how we can stay motivate as a small business owner and hopefully this can be of some help to you. Let's begin.

How can you super charge yourself and continue your work with drive and passion?

1. Know your "Why"

I was reading an article on the difference between "intrinsic motivation" and "extrinsic motivation", and I thought it was interesting. I learned that "extrinsic" is when you allow yourself to be rewarded when you do something good or you get punished when you don't. That's don't seem to make sense to me, to me you would have to work extra hard not to get punished for a mistake, that's added stress on top of what you are already experiencing and what the fun in working that way, it takes all the enjoying out of work. What do you think?

"Intrinsic motivation" on the other hand, is by internal rewards. For example, you wrote a blog post on a topic, because you love writing and not for any gain, you did because you simply love it. You do it because you love it, it is enjoyable and interesting, so its a reward, instead of viewing it as a deadline. 

Click or tap to Subscribe Now!

Get Our Newsletter!
Signup up now for news,
tips and inspiration
We will Help you Grow your Business

I love reading and so I spend a lot of time reading on my tablet or printed material and so, I would share what were my thoughts on what I read simply because I love reading. I also learned that "intrinsic motivation" can boosts your creativity and innovation. Is that true? I think it is.

And so, knowing your "why" and knowing what drives you and why you started your business, your passion, something you get excited about, for the love of...that to me how "Intrinsic motivation" should be.

In order to keep your motivation going your internal drive, you got to remember your "why" so that you can rediscover, your passion, your purpose, excitement, your love for helping people to get yourself back on track. Here's another point to work on.

2. Put your mission statement for your business on paper, again.

When was the last time you revise your mission statement? Since, COVID 19, things has changed. Is it time for a review? Remind yourself about your company's vision. A good mission statement will inspire you to keep going. To be motivated. Is it clear and precise so that you can easily follow through on it?

One more thing, make your mission statement accessible to everyone in your business, don't keep it to yourself.

3. Plan out your short term and long term goals.

Have a well defined goals in front of you and even on your team. Set goals that are realistic and attainable.

In my reading, I found this to be helpful. Using the SMART goal setting technique. 

S-Make your goal specific
M-Make your goal measurable 
A-Make your goal achievable 
R-Make your goal relevant
T-Make a time-bound schedule

If you think long-term goals right now is to overwhelming, then just create and work on your short-term goals, take small actionable steps that you know you can attain and keep going.

4. Take a break

I take power nap every day, it help to rejuvenate my mind and body. Make sure that you are taking regular breaks during your busy day. It has been said that 50% of startup owners suffered from burnout, this is a concern that small business owners cannot afford to ignore.

Take a walk and try to relax your mind. Do something entirely different that lets you feel relax. I know its difficult, for me while I am out I am still thinking of the million things I need to do, but I am getting there, and so will you.

AD: Check out my tools & resources page. It my list of recommended services, products and and companies that I know are valuable. Know more... 

Most importantly, delegate the work to your team or employees and have a schedule to ensure that work is being done by a set time as well as on time. At the end of your day, leave it at your place of business, don't take it to your home. If you work at home, shut it down. Family time is really important. I am a mom of two son's and I am happy to say that doing that, have keep us close as a family.

5. Talk other small business owner or entrepreneurs

On your way to become successful business owner again, it can feel overwhelming at times, I do sometimes especially when you have a lot of responsibilities. It's a good thing to talk to other small business owners as they can relate with you in many ways. 

Find support groups that you can learn and share experience and issues with each other. Facebook group, meetup are great website to visit. Search for the ones that would fit your needs to find inspiration to continue running your business.



Final thoughts

I hope my article and its few suggestion helped you to continue with your small business despite COVID, follow these simple steps, you will eventually have a sense of purpose again, if you lost your way, to get back that drive, passion and sense of purpose and because you love it.

If you love this post, please don't forget to share it, so that others can learn and benefit from my post. Thanks in advance. Don't forget to share your thoughts in the comment section.

NOTICE: Check out my tools & resources page...Know more here

Visit my website we help small businesses with their social media. Know more...



Stay Fancy🌹
Nicole










Comments

Popular Posts